Secretary of State's Office: The Washington State Heritage Center is part of the Office of the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State also oversees the State Archives, the State Library, the Legacy Project and is responsible for collecting and preserving the historical records of the state, and making those records accessible.
In this capacity the Office of the Secretary of State is involved with the overall preservation of our state's history and making that history available to the people of the state and beyond.
Then Secretary of State Sam Reed conceived the Heritage Center as a home, on the State Capitol Campus, where the heritage of our state and the stories of our people can be accessed in person or virtually through the Heritage Center Network.
Current Secretary of State Kim Wyman continues to champion the Heritage Center because The state is obligated to educate and make history accessible. This is public service at its most important. School groups, families and visitors to the Capitol from around the state and the world deserve the opportunity to experience and learn Washington history and heritage
Washington State Heritage Center Trust: The Washington State Heritage Center Trust was formed in August 2008 and is a non-profit organization registered with the State of Washington. The Trust received its 501 (c) (3) status from the Federal Government in May 2009, making gifts to the Heritage Center Trust tax deductible under regulations of the Internal Revenue Service.
The Trust is governed by a 15-member Board of Trustees that ensures that all gifts to the Trust are used to support the Heritage Center and its programs as the donor intends.
Board of Trustees members:
- Alex McGregor, Trust Chair, President, The McGregor Company
- Justice Gerry Alexander, Trust Vice-Chair, Bean, Gentry, Wheeler & Peternell, PLLC
- Lori Drummond, Trust Treasurer, President and CEO, Olympia Federal Savings
- Jan Ames, Former director of the Washington Talking Book & Braille Library
- Catherine Brazil, Director of Public Affairs, Cowles Company
- Patrick Dunn, Patrick Dunn & Associates
- Stu Halsan, Law Office of Stuart A. Halsan
- Jerri Honeyford, Board member, MaryHill Museum and The Washington Trust
- Patricia Lantz, Retired State Representative
- Jan Walsh, Retired State Librarian
Ex Officio Trustees:
- Kim Wyman, Secretary of State
- Ken Raske, Assistant Secretary of State
- Carleen Jackson, Trust Secretary, Heritage Center Director of Development
- Rand Simmons, State Librarian
- Steve Excell, State Archivist